2017 was the year of not blogging. For the first time since I started blogging in 1999 (!!!), I didn’t have a blog for (over) a whole year. A combination of my failing health, frustration with the “blogging scene”, and a continuing trend of deciding I don’t like something when I’m only a few tweaks away from finishing it caused me to throw in the towel for the year.
But I’m back, full of good intentions and a renewed creative spark.
So, what happened during my year-long blogging hiatus?! Let’s break it down by month, shall we?
- Celebrated being in the Netherlands for one year.
- Visited Eindhoven for the first time to buy roller derby gear.
- Fell on my ass and hit my head in skates, possibly triggering this very long run of bad health.
- Developed a case of gastritis that ended up going pro (chronic) and plaguing me for six months.
- I bought a Fitbit which started my weight loss journey for the year!
- My hip started playing up, leaving me bed-bound for most of the second half of February.
- Started seeing a chiropractor.
- I MET DEVIN TOWNSEND!!!
- … and saw him live for the first of three times this year (in Tilburg).
- I went to Germany (Düsseldorf) to see Devilskin live for the second time.
- We went to Disneyland Paris.
- The husband turned 30.
- Went mini golfing for the first time in the Netherlands (something we did a lot in NZ).
- Found out that we had to leave our apartment in Wageningen.
- I turned 30.
- Spent a night in Rhenen & went to the zoo.
- Developed some serious anxiety attached to my health.
- Finished my temporary data entry job.
- Found a new apartment in Ede.
- Broke a molar and went to the dentist and only had to pay €30!
- Saw Rotting Christ live for the second time (in Arnhem).
- Moved to our new apartment in Ede.
- Bought a new computer after my laptop died.
- Celebrated our 10 year relationship anniversary.
- Saw Devin Townsend live for the second of three times this year (in Eindhoven).
- Had an endoscopy to find out what was up with my tummo (nothing, apparently).
- Finally got around to having a housewarming party.
- Celebrated the 1st ‘Gotcha Day’ for two of our four rats.
- Celebrated the 1st ‘Gotcha Day’ for the other two of our four rats.
- Visited Bulgaria.
- Saw Devin Townsend live for the third of three times in 2017 (in Bulgaria)!
- Celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Took a short trip to Amsterdam.
- Saw Stam1na live for the first time!
- Sam’s brother, Henry, came to stay (for more than a month).
- That’s apparently all that happened in November.
- Went to the zoo in Arnhem.
- Went for our first ever walk in a blizzard!
- Visited Nijmegen for the first time.
- Spent Christmas with an extra family member this year!
And those were the highlights and lowlights of 2017. Here’s to well-balanced 2018, and more blogging!